Home About Maps News Officials/Contact Board Meeting Minutes Calendar Fire Department & EMS Rates & Fees Links Welcome to Inwood Township!

   About Inwood Township

Our township is on the southwestern edge of Schoolcraft County in the south central part of Michigan's Upper Peninsula (see map) and is mostly comprised of mixed northern hardwood/conifer forests. In the southern area there are several thousand acres devoted to farming: cattle, hay, small grains and potatoes.

   Short History...

Around 1883 John C. Cooks built a sawmill in the south western part of what was then Thompson Township. Railroad maps of the time called the area Cook's Siding but the locals called it Cook's Mill. In 1890 a group of local residents applied for and were granted the designation of a new township to be named Inwood. Significant events over the years include:

  • 1886 - One-room Cooks School built
  • 1900 - Horse-drawn hearse donated to local church
  • 1923 - Cooks Consolidated School opened (closed 1970)
  • 1929 - First electric power in Cooks
  • 1934 - School gets electricity
  • 1953 - Original Town Hall constructed for $20,000
  • 2016 - New Town Hall completed (for more than $20,000)

 

Inwood Township from the air...

Population: 733 (2010)
Population Density: 6/sq. Mile
Elevation: 679' (average)
Area: 126.5 Sq. Miles
  Land: 120.3 Sq. Miles
  Water: 6.2 Sq. Miles
GPS Coordinates:
   46°6′31″N 86°29′19″W
.

Links of local interest
.